Every Friday, I’m publishing my top ten songs from a single year and this week it’s the turn of 2007.
For previous top ten tunes, please click on the year: 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006
In 2007, protests were held in India against the treatment of Bollywood star Shilpa Shetty by fellow contestants in British reality show Celebrity Big Brother, BBC correspondent Alan Johnston is kidnapped in the Gaza Strip and was released 4 months later, a fire badly damages the Cutty Sark in Greenwich, Tony Blair steps down as Prime Minister and Gordon Brown becomes the new British PM, a smoking ban comes into effect in England and Wales banning smoking in any enclosed public places, foot and mouth disease breaks out in the UK, 11-year-old Rhys Jones is shot dead in Liverpool, Nick Clegg becomes the leader of the Liberal Democratics party, the first ever iPhone is introduced, the former Prime Minister of Pakistan Benazir Bhutto is assassinated, a terrorist attack takes place at Glasgow airport and 5 people were injured, the final Harry Potter book is published, films There Will Be Blood, The Bourne Ultimatum, No Country for Old Men, Juno, Hot Fuzz and La Vie En Rose are all released and I turn 31 years old.
In 2007, I packed my bags (again, I seem to pack my bags a lot over the years) and moved to New York, New York for a summer, where I was lucky enough to train at AADA (American Academy of Dramatic Arts) in acting, singing and dancing. It turned out to be one of the best experiences of my life and I made very special friends for life. And I still from time to time pine for New York. I just need to win the lottery, so I can buy that holiday apartment in NYC. This week, we have Amy featuring twice and Ri-Ri and Regina return plus it’s the first appearance from another iconic British singer.
1. Stronger by Kanye West
2. Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy
3. Valerie by Mark Ronson featuring Amy Winehouse
4. Foundations by Kate Nash
5. Better by Regina Spector
6. Umbrella by Rihanna featuring Jay-Z (Umbrella was no.1 in the UK for 10 consecutive weeks and in some kind of sickened twist this was over the summer of ’07 where in the UK we had weeks upon weeks of non-stop rain causing flooding across the country. The weather in the UK had been good the day before the record was released, but from the day of its release the severe weather hit the UK. The UK started to blame this ark-building weather on Rihanna as the wet weather and Rihanna’s reign over the charts continued, it was thus named the “Rihanna Curse”. In the end, her record company were savvy and collaborated with a UK umbrella firm and produced the Rihanna branded umbrella. Sick)
7. Call the Shots by Girls Aloud (how has it taken me so long to put a Girls Aloud song in these lists?!)
8. I Still Remember by Bloc Party
9. Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
10. Hometown Glory by Adele
Oooh, well it has to be Back to Black, doesn’t it? Which one is your favourite this week?
See you next week for 2008!