If I was a proper writer, I would start this post my telling you about how much Madonna means to me. However, in all honesty I just find it hard to articulate. I did attempt to explain it in this post HERE. But you see, to put it succinctly, I wouldn’t be the person I am today without her. Throughout her life and career she has defied the norm, enabled sexual expression for women and exuded unapologetic confidence. In a piece that Sali Hughes recently wrote, she quite rightly points out that Madonna is continuing to do this by redefining what it means to be a woman growing old and entering her 60s. The words icon, idol and legend and far too easily banded about these days, yet when it comes to our Madge, they quite rightly fit her perfectly.
So, in honour and in celebration of Madonna, I’m going to firstly take you through the different eras of Madonna. Then I’m going to give you my top 10 Madonna albums, on to a short note on her music videos and then end with my top 20 Madonna songs of all time. Spotify playlist at the end, as always.
Madonna Through the Ages:
Madonna as a teenager
Just before fame
“I’m tough, I’m ambitious, and I know exactly what I want. If that makes me a bitch, okay”
Like a Virgin era (1984)
“Better to live one year as a tiger than a hundred years as a sheep”
“I hope that I inspire women to believe in themselves, no matter where they come from; no matter what education they have; what particular background they come from”
“If your joy is derived from what society thinks of you, you’re always going to be disappointed.”
“Sick and perverted always appeals to me.”
“Everyone probably thinks that I’m a raving nymphomaniac, that I have an insatiable sexual appetite, when the truth is I’d rather read a book.”
“We learn our lessons; we get hurt; we want revenge. Then we realize that actually, happiness and forgiving people is the best revenge.”
10. Bedtime Stories (1994)
9. Music (2000)
8. I’m Breathless (1990) Shut up, I LOVE this album.
7. Rebel Heart (2015)
6. Like a Virgin (1984)
5. Madonna (1983)
4. True Blue (1986)
3. Confessions on a Dance Floor (2005)
2. Ray of Light (1998)
1. Like a Prayer (1989)
Madonna’s Worst Album: Hard Candy. What a crock of shit.
BEST VIDEO: Being the all round amazing artist that she is, it is of no surprise that Madonna’s music videos are also of good value. I’m a fan of her early videos especially the ones that told a story (Borderline, Papa Don’t Preach, Material Girl), I even love the simplicity of the low budget Lucky Star, then there’s her iconic videos (Like a Virgin, Frozen, La Isla Bonita and Express Yourself) and then there is the amazing Like a Prayer (both iconic and tells a story). However, my all time favourite Madonna video is the stylish, sexy and sensational Vogue.
“Don’t just stand there, Let’s get to it,
Strike a pose, There’s nothing to it,
TOP 20 SONGS:
20. Material Girl (1985, no.3, Like a Virgin)
19. Falling Free (not released as a single, MDNA)
18. HeartBreakCity (not released as a single, Rebel Heart)
17. The Power of Goodbye (1998, no.6, Ray of Light)
16. Bad Girl (1993, no.10, Erotica)
15. Like A Virgin (1984, no.3, Like a Virgin)
14. La Isla Bonita (1987, no.1, True Blue)
13. Papa Don’t Preach (1986, no.1, True Blue)
12. Crazy For You (1985, no.2, Vision Quest)
11. Frozen (1998, no.1, Ray of Light)
10. Holiday (1983, no.2, Madonna)
9. Human Nature (1995, no.8, Bedtime Stories)
8. Borderline (1984, no.2, Madonna)
7. Promise to Try (1989, not released as a single, Like a Prayer)
6. Express Yourself (1989, no.5, Like a Prayer)
5. Hung Up (2005, no.1, Confessions on a Dance Floor)
4. Live to Tell (1986, no.2, True Blue)
3. Vogue (1990, no.1, I’m Breathless)
2. Ray of Light (1998, no.2, Ray of Light)
1. Like a Prayer (1989, no.1, Like a Prayer)
The one that almost made it: Living for Love (2014, no.26, Rebel Heart)
“Does somebody ask Steven Spielberg why he’s still making movies? Hasn’t he had enough success? Hasn’t he made enough money? Hasn’t he made a name for himself? Did somebody go to Pablo Picasso and say, “Okay, you’re 80 years old. Haven’t you painted enough paintings?” No, I’m so tired of that question. I just don’t understand it. I’ll stop doing everything that I do when I don’t want to do it anymore. I’ll stop when I run out of ideas. I’ll stop when you fucking kill me. How about that?”
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MADONNA!
Which Madonna song and album are your favourites?
For other musical artist top tunes click on the link: