Oh yes, (just) another blog post, (just) another Britpop band. And today, we’re talking about Suede. So we had the Oasis vs Blur thing. We had Pulp challenging both of those bands for the Britpop crown and then we had Suede. Suede who sometimes (wrongly) get forgotten about or dismissed when discussing the best bands from that era. Suede who’s loss of their key songwriter after (actually during) the recording of their “difficult second album” spelled the demise of the band, but leader vocalist (and their other key songwriter), Brett Anderson was having none of it. 30 years after forming (happy anniversary guys) they are still churning out the tunes. In fact, their 8th studio album was released last year and I named it as one of my favourite albums of the year (right HERE in fact). Also, slight side note, but am I the only one that remembers the original rivalry was in fact between Suede vs Blur and not with Oasis? Does this make Blur the real troublemakers?
Favourite Suede album: Suede (1993, no.1)
Here are my favourite tunes by our Suede.
15. Stay Together (1994, no.3, non-album single)
14. The Invisibles (2018, did not chart, The Blue Hour)
13. Sometimes I’ll Float Away (2013, album track, Bloodsports)
12. By The Sea (1996, album track, Coming Up)
11. Saturday Night (1997, no.6, Coming Up)
10. Beautiful Ones (1996, no.8, Coming Up)
9. So Young (1993, no.22, Suede)
8. We Are the Pigs (1994, no.18, Dog Man Star)
7. Pantomime Horse (1993, album track, Suede)
6. Trash (1996, no.3, Coming Up)
5. The Drowners (1992, no.49, Suede)
4. Metal Mickey (1992, no.17, Suede)
3. The Wild Ones (1994, no.18, Dog Man Star)
2. The Next Life (1993, album track, Suede)
And my all time favourite Suede song is…
1. Animal Nitrate (1993, no.7, Suede)
The one that almost made it: Brass in Pocket (1992, track featured on NME‘s charity compilation album Ruby Trax)
Don’t forget to tell me your favourite Suede
See you next week for the top Tori Amos tunes!
For other musical artist top tens click on the link: