Here’s my succinct cultural review of 2017. It’s been a great year for TV yet again, not so strong musically, but a few corkers nonetheless. I’ve only bothered with a top 3 for each category, but there were of course, lots of other great TV programmes, films and music from this year. There’s a longer playlist at the end with 25 of the best singles and album tracks from the year for y’all.
3. Colours by Beck
2. MASSEDUCTION by St. Vincent
1. Melodrama by Lorde (gloriously unapologetic pop, whilst remaining beautiful, dramatic and intimate)
3. Everything Now by Arcade Fire
2. Tomorrow by Anni
1. New York by St. Vincent (my only criticism of this song is that it’s far too short.)
3. Dunkirk/The Last Jedi (couldn’t decide between those two)
2. Trainspotting 2
1. Lion (released at the beginning of 2017 in the UK and I’m still reeling from the fact it didn’t walk away with the Oscar for Best Picture quite frankly. Read more about how this film made me feel here)
Best TV Programme
3. Stranger Things
2. The Crown
1. Master of None (actual perfectionism)
That’s mine. You know the score, now tell me yours.