20 Best Cover Versions
It’s easy to scoff at a cover version, but let’s hold off with the music snobbery just one second as some are worth praise. Some are even better than the original. Here’s a run down of my personal 20 favourite cover versions, in descending order. I’ve put the original recording artist in brackets. Spotify playlist at the end as always.
20. The Loco-motion by Kylie Minogue (Little Eva)
19. Dear Prudence by Siouxsie and the Banshees (The Beatles)
18. California Dreamin’ by the Carpenters (Mamas & the Papas)
17. When You Were Mine by Cyndi Lauper (Prince)
16. Brass in Pocket by Suede (The Pretenders)
15. Umbrella by Manic Street Preachers (Rhianna)
14. Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin (Erma Franklin)
13. Live and Let Die by Guns N’ Roses (Paul McCartney and Wings)
12. Hazy Shade of Winter by the Bangles (Simon & Garfunkel)
11. Smells Like Teen Spirit by Tori Amos (Nirvana)
And the Top Ten….
10. I Heard it Through the Grapevine by the Slits (Marvin Gaye)
9. It’s Oh So Quiet by Bjork (Betty Hutton)
8. Mad World by Gary Jules & Michael Andrews (Tears for Fears)
7. Valerie by Mark Ronson feat Amy Winehouse (The Zutons)
6. Tainted Love by Soft Cell (Gloria Jones)
5. Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley (Leonard Cohen)
4. Hurt by Johnny Cash (Nine Inch Nails)
3. They Won’t Go When I Go by George Michael (Stevie Wonder)
2. Respect by Aretha Franklin (Otis Redding) If you only watch one of these music videos, then please make it this one. Aretha is the QUEEN!
1.Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead O’Connor (Prince)
So, which one of these is your favourites? And which cover version do you love that doesn’t feature in my top 20? Don’t forget to come back on Friday for my weekly music series. This Friday it’s going to be music from 1986.